A basic yet classic item of clothing is the polo shirt. This is a more elegant alternative to the standard T-shirt and is simple to dress up or down by just adding complementary pieces. It is a garment that you can wear to any event thanks to its distinctive collar, buttons, and breathable materials. Here are the finest ways to wear a polo shirt no matter the weather, whether it’s hot or cold.
Table of Contents
What Is a Polo Shirt?
Short-sleeved tops with a placket neckline and two or three buttons are referred to as polo shirts, golf shirts, or tennis shirts. Cotton mixes are frequently used in the production of polo shirts. The typical component of a tennis, golf, or school uniform, these casual tops are a wardrobe essential.
Polo players in India in the 19th century and Great Britain in the 20th century are responsible for giving polo shirts their name. The polo shirt has been associated with numerous fashion trends ever since. The shirt played a significant role in men’s fashion around the beginning of the 2000s, serving as a sort of business-casual attire in some offices. Women often wore shirts with popped collars for a preppy appearance.
Read More On: Best Wears To A Pool Party And How To Rock It
Amazing Polo Shirt Styles
Classic Cotton Polo Shirts
The earliest article of clothing featuring button-down collars was the traditional polo shirt, which was created in the latter part of the tenth century. Why not proudly don a piece of clothing that transformed menswear as we know it today? Every wardrobe should include the conventional look, which can be dressed up for both casual and smart-casual situations.
Make sure the buttons don’t sit too low for the fit or it may appear to have a V-neck. Pick a polo shirt that fits your personal style, and don’t be afraid to experiment with bright colors.
Long Sleeve Polo Shirt
Polo shirts are not just worn in the summer, despite the fact that this is when they are most frequently seen. When the temperature drops, long sleeve polo shirts look great and may be worn in a variety of ways. It goes perfectly with anyone and may be worn casually with a pair of chinos, some sneakers, and a leather jacket. For those days when you’re unsure about what to wear, the polo is a great option. It works in every season and is simple to dress up or down in.
Short-Sleeve Polo Shirt
With a short sleeve polo shirt, you may show off your muscles while looking good. These clothes have a timeless, classic style that looks great with jeans, chinos, or even suit pants. You may dress it up by wearing a blazer and loafers, or you can go casual by wearing sneakers and jeans. With a little self-assurance, you may wear this fashionable piece in a variety of ways.
Knitted Polo Shirts
For both warmer and colder months, knit polo shirts are a good option. They have a smooth, fluffy feel and look excellent when worn with a suede jacket and narrow tapered trousers to evoke the impression of 1950s Hollywood. They are made of cotton or wool.
Read More On: How To Wear A Baseball Jersey And Best Ways To Rock It
How to Style a Polo Shirt
Polo Shirt + Shorts
Put on a polo shirt and shorts to boost the ante when it gets too hot to handle. It’s a simple outfit that will have you looking quite stylish, with denim and chinos. Choose monochromatic hues to create a simplified, classic look, or experiment with different color combinations. Keep the polo out of the tuck on casual days, and make sure it fits properly.
Polo Shirt + Blazer
A polo shirt and a blazer go great together, whether you’re going to a casual dinner with your friends or on business casual workdays. A white or black polo shirt with a dark suit is appropriate attire for more formal occasions. Try wearing a colorful polo shirt to add some fun to the mix and stand out from the throng.
Polo Shirt + Sweatpants
Using a polo shirt and sweatpants can keep you casual and cool. With the cozy bottoms, the smart top half instantly acquires a casual vibe. Add a snapback, weekend bag, and fashionable low-top sneakers to complete your ensemble. There is a thin line between athleisure and messy, so make sure the clothing is clean and well-fitted to avoid looking sloppy.
Polo Shirt + Chinos
Chinos are an excellent option for clothes because they fall between smart casual and semi-formal, and they look terrific with a polo shirt. By tucking your top half into the pants, you may maintain a polished and stylish appearance. White sneakers, loafers, boat shoes, or derby shoes can be worn to complete the style.
Polo Outfits for Men
By wearing a polo shirt with pants and a blazer, any smart casual ensemble will have a more laid-back feel. A more elegant alternative to the common T-shirt, the polo is simple to dress up or down depending on the situation. Don’t be hesitant to add a flash of color to your outfit so you can stand out, but stick to darker hues like navy, grey, and charcoal for an instantly polished look.
Polo shirts are the perfect piece of clothing for casual settings. When worn with jeans, sweatpants, or shorts, they look fantastic. For a laid-back Miami attitude, you can also choose to wear a wide variety of shoe types like loafers, sneakers, boat shoes, and espadrilles.
Read More On: 15 Best Women’s Style Guide For Wearing A Leather Jacket
How to Style a Polo Shirt
- A simple approach to putting together a sophisticated look is to keep the top buttons up.
- Make sure you can move about easily because a polo shirt’s fit shouldn’t be too tight or loose.
- It’s preferable to tuck the polo shirt inside your slacks for formal occasions.
- By adding a blazer to your look, you may dress up or down a polo shirt.
Polo Shirt Dos and Don’ts
- Put on an undershirt. An undershirt provides extra weight beneath a polo, which is designed to be worn as a foundation or a single layer close to the body, and it may protrude from the collar or neckline. If you do decide to wear an undershirt, make sure it has a covert neckline.
- Put polos on top of polos. Please only one polo at a time.
- Pull the collar up. Thankfully, this trend has subsided, but if you were tempted, resist. It still comes off as obnoxious. Feel free to remove the collar temporarily if you need to shield your neck from the sun.
- Put on a long sleeve polo. Long-sleeved polos are a thing, and while I’ve never seen one that did, they could be able to look incredibly beautiful. The history of the polo is as a short-sleeved shirt for warm weather and energetic sports; to expand the sleeves goes against its stylistic DNA and appears odd, much like the foolish short-sleeve dress shirt.
- Put on an athletic polo when going out. Polos developed for sports like tennis or golf are tailored for comfort and constructed of synthetic performance fabrics. They are excellent for golf courses or tennis courts, but not for any other activity.
- Push one or more of the buttons. It appears sloppy and floppy to have all the buttons undone. Usually, one is fine. In spite of the irony, having all of them buttoned up gives the shirt a noticeably different appearance and, if you’re going for it, a little more of an “anti-establishment” vibe.
- Depending on the situation, you are free to tuck or untuck your shirt. You can wear a polo shirt either way. Untucking is obviously more casual, whereas tucking gives you a more official appearance. Your shirt was undoubtedly intended to be tucked in if it is longer in the back than the front.
- Maintain a core palette of simple, solid hues like blue, black, and white. With a couple of polos in these timeless hues, you can’t go wrong. Although they don’t always make for a horrible decision, polo shirts with stripes or contrasting color bands on the collar and sleeve bands read as more informal, hip, and youthful.
- Increase the number of intriguing and vibrant color options. Pinks, purples, reds, and greens are some color choices that should be a little unusual.
What is the greatest brand of polo shirts?
A traditional Polo Ralph Lauren polo shirt with its recognizable horse insignia is always a good choice.
A man should own how many polo shirts, exactly?
Polo shirts are versatile pieces of clothing that can be used for casual and formal-casual settings. Three short sleeves and two long sleeves are the recommended number of shirts for men to own.
How are polo shirts worn by men?
Polo shirts can be dressed up or down depending on the situation. Wear them beneath a blazer for the ultimate smart-casual ensemble, with shorts for a casual yet fashionable summer choice, with chinos all year long, or with sweatpants for an athleisure appearance.
Read More On: Amazing Ways On How To Wear Nike Blazers
What do you think of polo shirts?
A well-fitting, spotless polo shirt can be a component of a handsome ensemble for a man. You should avoid popping the collar and pick your polo shirts judiciously because they are sometimes linked to the “frat boy” and “prep school” clichés. Knitted polo shirts offer a more streamlined, fashionable appearance.